Sunday, July 22, 2012

Everything Happens for a Reason


I'm a firm believer that EVERYTHING happens for a reason. For example; while we were in negotiation for our property, and the sellers were coming down ever so slowly, a fire came through the property which made the sellers lower their expectations and accept our original offer. Sure it created more work for me to clean up the land and take down trees that had burned, but it got us here which is where we're supposed to be.

On a bigger picture, my recent layoff happened for a reason too. It took me a while to realize why, but it finally came to me. I went through the normal range of emotions: disbelief, anger, sadness, back to anger, acceptance. I was actually working out in the yard when it hit me (not on my bike).

On more than a few occasions in the past, I had said "I can make 3 phone calls and have 3 job offers tomorrow". Well, that turned out to not be so true. Seems as if maybe I called the wrong 3 people. So the other day it hit me. This happened to teach me humility. I now know I need to be more humble. I need to be thankful for what I have and appreciate everything. I completely get it now. I was at some times cocky (hey, I was good or so I thought). Not anymore. I am humble, thankful, and I appreciate all the things I have been given. Not to get too zen, but i am right with my universe.

Even on my last ride I held this mindset. Even though I flatted 3 times, I looked at it as if maybe I was supposed to be off the bike at that time. Maybe that job offer was going to call at that time. My first flat lest than a mile in...no call, second flat 10 miles in...nothing, third...zip. I figure these three flats, although frustrating, tested my composure and coolness. I didn't get frustrated, pissed, or anything. I went about my business and changed the flat; all the wile being thankful that I was able to be out riding that day. There are others who aren't as fortunate or healthy.

Since coming to this realization & mindset, I have had 3 phone interviews and 1 company wants to fly me back to their corporate office for an interview! I've got a few things about to crest over that next climb and when thy do it will be all downhill sailing. I can't wait to see what this next career segment looks like. Whatever it is, I will be thankful that I have it and enjoy it to my fullest.

1 comment:

EgginDawg said...

Glad you are seeing the forrest through the trees! Hang in there Eric, good things are coming.