Monday, July 23, 2012

Big Bada-BOOM

That's what I heard as I crested my first Cat 4 climb today. I looked to the southwest and saw the rain coming. I can outrun it, or go around it. Up-shift, pedal harder. I got about 5-1/2 miles and it started to rain lightly so I ducked under the carport of the local Days Inn for some cover. In about 5 minutes, the rain subsided and I could see blue. I assumed that this 5 minute break was the universe telling me that I needed to stop here for some reason, nope. Time to head back out. 

I was planning to do my usual route around town thinking I may have to cut it short if it started raining. Since I could see blue, I continued on. I felt strong today. Strong like bull. I attacked each climb and didn't get as winded or have to down shift as I have before. Cool!


At about my usual 1/2 way point of my ride it started to rain again. I decided to just head back and shorted the ride. The whole way home it POURED. Keeping with my "everything happens for a reason" mindset, I searched within to figure out why. Then it hit me(not lightening, but it sounded close enough). I need to work on my bike handling skills. 


When riding in wet weather, you can't stop as fast, corner as fast, or turn too suddenly. As I went around corners, I slowed so that my tires wouldn't slip out from underneath me and accelerated out of the turns. It became pretty fun. I'm happy to report that I didn't fall once although I was drenched. I came up with some wet riding tips as I rode. Here they are:


1. Pick a jersey that you won't mind a permanent skunk stripe up the back
2. Give yourself extra room to slow down
3. Corner slower than you normally would
4. Wear eye protection. Raindrops and stuff flying off the road suck when they're in your eye
5. Don't make any sudden moves. You don't have the same traction. 
6. Use your lights. Road visibility is cut down by the road mist. The extra visibility doesn't hurt
7. Wear a rain jacket if you think it's going to rain (the one tip I ignored)
8. Avoid puddles with "rainbow edges". That indicates oil which indicates slippery.  
9. Lube your chain when you get back. You don't want your chain to rust. 


All in all it was a great ride. I got home, took a hot shower and had a hot cup of coffee. Now to clean (& lube) the bike.


No comments: