Friday, April 22, 2016

Just One Hour a Week.....

There's a mythical saying that being a Scout Leader only takes "One Hour a Week" of your time. 

When my son was old enough to join Cub Scouts, I was eager to get involved. We signed him up & I signed on to be the assistant den leader. In less time than it takes to grow corn, I was now the den leader. My scouting experience and enthusiasm sent a message to the den leader that I was more than willing to do whatever was needed, so we switched roles. I really enjoyed working with the young scouts on learning what Cub Scouts do!

Fast forward 4 or so years. My kids & I were at Home Depot doing one of the kid's crafts and we met a local Cub Scout den leader. I got his name & number thinking Matt wanted to get back into it. We talked about it, and he didn't express much interest. About a year after that: "Dad, I want to join Scouts again". Cool! Now where is that guy's number. I actually still had it and we connected. My son joined the den as a Webelos almost as summer began. Of course, I signed on as an assistant leader. 2 years of Webelos and working with a great group of scouts! Since Webelos are the highest rank in Cub Scouting, there are more outdoor activities and less crafty type activities. There were a couple campouts, hikes, and things to get the boys ready for Boy Scouts. Matt and a few of the other Webelos earned all 20 activity pins (we really had to crank towards the end, but they did it)! 

As Webelos, the scouts visit potential Boy Scout troops to see which would be a good fit at graduation. Matt & 1 other scout from our den decided on Troop 142. Naturally, I mentioned to the Scoutmaster that I was fully engaged and willing to do whatever needs to be done. He tasked me with helping the new patrol work through ranks. No problem. I started working with the Flaming Arrow Patrol to get them up through the ranks. We've done knot tying, camping, cooking, service projects, & "things Scouts do"! It has been an absolute blast! We have such a great troop of Scouts and immediately following and event, I look forward to the next. On one of our campouts, I was told by the Scoutmaster that he was going to be stepping down soon and that i was a logical replacement. "Probably after summer camp" he said. Well, Summer camp is at the end of June and things are starting to move in that direction. 

I welcome the role. I thing helping mold these young men into responsible citizens is not a task to be taken lightly. It takes listening, planning, leading by example, instructing, & guiding. Sure, the meetings are an hour a week; actually 90 minutes, but in order to make a difference, you have to put in the time. I remember reading the passage below when I became a Tiger Den Leader, it rings even more true today:

I'm not a Scout Leader for the easy hours, high pay, parents' gratitude, power or prestige.
I'm a Leader because I want the world for your son or daughter or mine.
A world they can share and help shape: a world of love and laughter where they can show compassion.
I want to help them learn to finish anything they start and do it well and to guide them to know their self-worth with a deeper understanding of themselves.
I want to help shape men and women who have strength of character and are sensitive to the needs of others.
I want them to be the best they can be - whether as career people or tradesmen, young adults who are the hearts of the family.
In giving my time and myself I reap rewards far beyond what I give. I receive a better world for my children and future generations.
I'm a Scout Leader because I care.


To the journey that lies ahead.....



No comments: