Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Bug

I recently sold my MTB, The Purple Pig. That bike, while fun, was a bit of a beater. The equivalent of "rock skis". Aside from the cosmetic issues, it also had mechanical issues. A noisy bottom bracket, untrue wheels, and poor shifters are only the beginning.

I found a new MTB on Craigslist and traded my old dart board for it. This bike is much newer, lighter, and is full suspension (great for an old guy). I've been enjoying riding this bike a LOT! To say that I'm once again obsessed would probably be a fair statement. I've been trying to ride at least twice a week to get back into somewhat decent riding shape. After each ride, I'm already looking forward to my next one. While riding this morning, I found myself wondering "how can I make this my job"? Wouldn't that be sweet? Either testing new equipment or exploring trails. Hmmmm. I will probably have to stick to recreational riding. That's OK, I still love it.

The other day, I rode straight out my front gate into the forestry area and had a blast! If anyone wants to come ride some sweet trails, let me know. I did learn a lesson today...Carry tools! Shortly after I left, my handlebars became loose. Loose enough so that they would twist in my hands. Not good. I had a multi-tool in my CamelBak so I could tighten them some. My bike tool would have fixed them for good. Guess what I'm doing tonight...packing my tool kit for this bike.

When I'm driving from customer to customer, I can't help but look out and wonder what kind of trails might be just off the road, or in the canyons, or mountains, or.... My mindset has gone back into a cyclist's one. I may need counseling...

No comments: